More from the Fed’s Powell: We plan to push rates higher in a series of hikes
Learn more about Fed Chairman Powell’s testimony
- We expect to raise the policy rate in a series of rate hikes this year
- We expect interest rates to rise in a series of hikes this year.
- Our plan is to return to price stability while supporting continued expansion
- Very important that adds up to strong, high inflation
- The labor market is also extremely strong.
- From this point of view, in a good position to control inflation.
- Workers will still have good jobs, pay raises for a while.
- The economy can handle our rate increases. We need to align demand and supply
- I expect the fed funds rate to rise in two weeks and a series of increases this year, but given the situation in Ukraine, we will proceed with caution.
- The neutral rate is between 2% and 2 1/2%
- We’re talking about reaching a neutral rate of 2% to 2 1/2%, and it may need to go higher than that
- The Fed can achieve a soft landing
- Monetary policy works through expectations, rate hikes have already happened and we need to ratify them
The most popular